Thursday, May 21, 2015

Water and Wine, This Curse of Mine


The priest pouring water into the wine before the consecration during the Mass


So I took my wine back from yesterday because it was bad--corked or some other similar flaw. So I did not buy the same wine obviously, but a cheap Chianti that I have gotten in the past that is of good quality. Well, it was flat. Watery. It is drinkable and I am not going to pour it down the drain. Historically wine was watered I read, and it was considered low class to drink wine straight up. It is one reason Christ poured water into the wine at the Last Supper, and to this day it is done in the Christian liturgy of course. But no one waters their wine down anymore. 

But though the wine is bad, I am not going to dare take it back. If this were an actual wine shop, MAYBE. But two times in a row? I just think they will think me crazy or something. In fact, I've been getting a lot of bad wine this year it seems. Is it even possible to get many bad wines within a year if say you buy two bottles a month average? I've tried to say to myself that maybe it is myself, that I do not like the wine perhaps. But often these have been wines I have had before and liked. And when wine smells musty and cardboard like and has the same taste, I am pretty sure it is not just me. But I want to ask someone if I am just experiencing some twilight zone style coincidences, or if just maybe this is no unheard of?

No comments:

Post a Comment