Saturday, January 10, 2015

2013 Yellow Tail Merlot

by Brandon Wainscott

I've decided  to do something different reviewing this. Rather than the same old formatted review, I decided just to write.

Yellow Tale is the go to house wine, as a friend says. He plans to go to school as sommelier, so I guess it is good if he considers it a go to house wine, being an expert and all, on the way to becoming an official wine snob. Another friend, a Facebook friend in Scotland, complained about the lack of quality wine in Britain. Someone mentioned Yellow Tail, and he did not outright put it down if I recall, but did not seem to fond of it either. But he seemed to agree it was a good wine for poor college students.

The 2013 Yellow Tail Merlot was quite complex. On the nose I got death. Yes, I said death. Well, maybe I should put it better. It did not smell like rotting flesh. My great-grandmother died when I was seven. I remember the viewing at the funeral home. I remember the smell most of all I think. They really fix up the person of course, so there is no smell or ugliness. I remember there was a minty smell, and I guess it was something they spray on the corpse, or a chemical used in embalming. In any case, mint, not death. I just call it death because of what it reminds me of. I also got spice and plumb, plus thyme.

The plumb, spice and thyme were on the tongue, too. I could imagine having it with lamb chops. I love thyme on lamb. It goes so well with that sweetness of the lamb. It finished long, with the spice being the main finishing characteristic. However, towards the very end it did finish a bit bitter. However, because the finish was long, it was pleasant except for that last moment.

The color is medium dark I would say. I would give it an 87 because of its low price range, taking away a point or two from a possible 88 or 89 for the depth of the wine. The many layers to me were amazing. I had not had that in a while. I think next time I buy wine, I'll not splurge, but buy two Yellow Tails.

Oh, and if you catch any strange typos in here, it is likely because I am going to end up having to replace that laptop that I spilled wine on. The keys are sticking. Besides, it fell off a table not  long before, and it seems the hinge for the screen is a bit loose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment